Careers at MIAL
Workplace Relations Advisor
Who: a small team of experienced professionals who know the maritime industry as well as anyone;
What: a savvy operator, whose technical skills in workplace relations are matched by there ability to work with all types of businesses
Where: Anywhere, anytime. With an office based in Melbourne, MIAL works with members from all around the country; who you are is more important than where you are with working from home an option within Victoria or interstate.
Maritime Industry Australia Ltd (MIAL) is a member-based industry association that promotes the maritime sector in Australia and is the primary conduit between maritime businesses and government departments.
The Australian maritime industry is an exciting industry with limitless potential. As a peak body representing a very broad range of operators in the Australian maritime space, MIAL is well placed to influence and impact in a range of areas, none more so than workplace relations.
MIAL is a dedicated team of professionals who take pride in our role representing the maritime industry. We interact continuously with our Members, other industry participants, government departments and politicians. You will be exposed to all facets of the Australian maritime industry, and with possible opportunities for domestic travel - working for MIAL is never boring.
MIAL's Workplace Relations Advisor (full time – part time possible for the right candidate) provides critical and high quality HR/IR advice to MIAL members across a range of topics including enterprise bargaining, unfair dismissal, dispute resolution, WHS, discrimination, adverse action and HR best practice.
Our members are diverse and range in size from small operators to multi-nationals. No two businesses are the same, and you will use your fine tuned IR/HR radar to judge the needs of members and work with them across a variety of workplace relations matters.
This role will build on a consultancy practice within the MIAL membership; providing you with the opportunity to combin your business development and networking skills with your technical expertise. Further detail is in the position description, provided on request.
- an HR/IR professional with confidence to hit the ground running
- an adaptable, independent thinker with strong research and analytical skills and a willingness to learn;
- an effective communicator, with a particular skill in articulating complex information in written form;
- someone who values attention to detail with the ability to produce quality material with a high level of accuracy;
- someone who enjoys working closely with other HR/IR practitioners;
- able to work autonomously and as part of a team while maintaining high professional standards.
- an understanding of Australia's Workplace Relations system including the Fair Work Act and other areas of employment law;
- experience with and exposure to industries with a strong union presence.
- awareness of Australian’s system of government and a demonstrated interest in the political landscape;
- the ability to maintain confidentiality and discern what might be commercially and industrially sensitive information;
- experience in comprehending and communicating detailed, complex information quickly.
- the ability to prioritise time-critical work projects and adjust to changing priorities.
- proficiency with the Microsoft office suite.
Even better...any of the following would be highly regarded:
- demonstrated consultancy or in-house experience in HR/IR;
- knowledge and understanding of the Australian maritime industry or another highly regulated industrial environment and related challenges;
- previous experience with the Fair Work Commission.
We offer a flexible, friendly, supportive work environment, competitive renumeration and work/life balance. Working from home arrangements are actively encouraged, regardless of your location.
To discuss whether this role is right for you, please call Sarah Cerche on 03 9647 6005 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can apply by contacting Sarah for a position description and submitting your covering letter and cv to email@example.com
Applications should be submitted by 25 September 2020 at the latest but we are keen to hear from our next team member ASAP.
You can download the Position Description here