Witherbys Photo Competition
MIAL in conjunction with Witherbys Publishing is holding a photographic competition to source a photo that would be appropriate for the front cover of Witherbys 2021 Passage Planning Guide for the Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait.
GENERAL RULES AND INFORMATION
The objectives of the competition are to stimulate interest in the Australian maritime industry and select an image that truly reflects the region. A panel of selected judges determines the winners. The results of the competition are reproduced in MAX magazine and on mial.com.au. The winning entry will be used on the front cover of Witherbys 2021 Passage Planning Guide for Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait.
- Entry period is March 01 – April 30, 2021 (Midnight - Melbourne, Australia time)
- By entering, competitors must agree to their images being displayed in MIAL publications including MAX magazine and the winning photo is used as the feature photo of front cover of Witherbys 2021 Passage Planning Guide for Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait. The images can also be used on the MIAL websites and for MIAL promotional material, including promotion of the photographic competition.
- MIAL encourages entrants to support the competition sponsors and negotiate with the sponsors should they wish to use the images for future promotions.
- Ownership of images remains with the photographer. However, MIAL cannot guarantee copyright of images that appear on the website.
- Here is an example of the 2019 Passage Planning Guide for Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait.
Note: The competition is open only to digital entries to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and the accompanying form. (Members wishing to enter slides will need to get them scanned).
Navigating safely through the Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait
- All images must have been taken by the entrant and belong to them
- Images need to be taken within Australia
- Entries are permitted in digital format only and sent via email to email@example.com with the Entry Form. Each photo is to include the following details:
Alternative contact details
Title of your entry
Brief Description (25 words or less)
Biography (50 words):
Plus the signed consent form or an email stating:
I, _____(insert name)___________________, give permission for Maritime Industry Australia Limited to use my photos in marketing collateral. By entering, competitors must agree to their images being displayed in MIAL publications including MAX magazine and the winning photo is used as the feature photo of front cover of Witherbys 2021 Passage Planning Guide for Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait. The images can also be used on the MIAL website and for MIAL promotional material, including promotion of the photographic competition.
- Files must be JPEG or TIFF format, less than 32MB (at least 2000 pixels on the long side). Please use the online form to enter. Entries without the form will not be included.
- Digital processing should be mostly restricted to dust removal, cropping, resizing, global exposure and tonal adjustments. HDR, and exposure, focus or sequence blending are permitted. Cloning or removing parts of an image (except in the case of the above) are not permitted. Obvious modification of images is not in keeping with the objectives of this competition and may result in disqualification.
- Images not meeting these specifications will not be judged.
- Judging will be carried out based on the adherence/interpretation of the theme. The judges and the organisers of the competition may reject images that are not of a maritime nature and ultimately reject all images if they are not deemed satisfactory.
- Judges decisions are final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
How to enter
- The competition is open to anyone who wants to enter.
- Individual competitors must enter images representing the theme
- There is no limit to the number of images entered but each image must include the details on the Witherbys Photographic Competition Form.
- Images that have been entered in previous MIAL photo competitions may not be entered a second time.
- Entries are judged by a panel of two or more judges and individual winners and place-getters are chosen.
- Winners must supply a high resolution copy of their winning entry to MIAL by May 7th, 2021.
The winning photograph will be featured on the front cover of Witherbys 2021 Passage Planning Guide for Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait.
The winning photographer will also be offered a selection of training and reference books from Witherbys publications catalogue.
If you have any queries please call Alison Saunders on 0409 694 297 or email firstname.lastname@example.org